For a number of years the exact position of Major Peirson's tomb was thought to be unknown. In March 2008 during ongoing church restoration the stone inscribed with the name 'Peirson' was lifted and exposed the tomb itself.
Major Peirson was buried with full Military Honours on January 10th 1781 just four days after the Battle of Jersey in which he had fallen. The tomb had been built in front of the pulpit and the copper plate on the coffin bore the following inscription:
"The remains of Major Francis Peirson, who by his courage rescued the Island of Jersey from the hands of a rapacious enemy on the sixth day of January 1781, are here deposited. He fell at the head of his conquering troops in the 25th year of his age"
The tomb was closed up again and the granite flagstone which is inscribed with the name Peirson placed back once again in its rightfully honoured position.
A visit to the Parish Church of St Helier during the restoration gave a very rare opportunity to photograph the exposed tomb.
The head of the coffin The open tomb The copper plate
Return to 1781 first page